Sunday, July 21, 2013

Awesome Arachnids

As you can see by the last few posts, I'm definitely on a macro kick.  I like to do insects and spiders because there is always something to find.  With the narrow depth of field in regards to macro equipment, it can be quite frustrating to get sharp photos, and you will never get the entire subject sharp.

My favorite macro subjects are definitely spiders!  The closer you can see them, the creepier they are.  At one time I had a healthy fear of spiders, but yet I was still fascinated.  When I got into my late teens, I was determined to overcome that fear, so I started holding the large yellow and black argiope garden spiders.  Their long legs are soooo creepy, I figured if I could hold them, the rest were no big deal.  Problem solved:)

Anyway, I have taken so many macro photos this week, I'm having a hard time getting to all of them.  I decided to narrow them down into groups for posts, so for today, it's spiders!

I'll start with the jumping spiders, since they are my favorite.  I've come across some "new to me" species.

Paraphidippus aurantius (Gold)



Paraphidippus aurantius (Green)



Young Phidippus Spider
These next two spiders were so tiny, I had great difficulty holding the camera steady for such small subjects.  These could only have been 3cm long, yet they have such personality:)



Tiny Dendryphantinae



Next are the crab spiders!  These are a close second favorite to jumping spiders.  Their camouflage is absolutely amazing, and I love how they blend in for the sneak attack on their prey. 

White Banded Crab Spider on Larkspur


White Banded Crab Spider with Prey


Yellow White Banded Crab Spider with Prey


Slender Crab Spider


The third category are the orb weavers.  These spiders weave intricate webs to catch their prey and there are many species.  They can be quite difficult to categorize, but I've done my best.

Neoscona crucifera


Araniella



Long Jawed Orb Weavers
The two spiders below are actually quite small, and seem to be mostly found around water. 




Hopefully those of you who read my blog aren't getting bored with the macro stuff.  I do look forward to fall when the foliage starts to break down and I can get good views of mammals and birds, but this is going to be the pace for awhile.  I hope you all enjoy the photos!




.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Great shots of the spiders. Amazing how they look closeup.

Trailblazer said...

Those crab spiders are amazing looking. Always love those....

Casey said...

Amazing photos, Bill! Love them eyes!!!!

Post a Comment

Voltar Avançar Inicio
 

Topo
Site Meter